Radiant 0.9.0 Release Candidate 1
I am pleased to announce the first release candidate of Radiant 0.9.0.
The big news in this release is that we have updated the interface to make it more stylish and compact. If you are a long time Radiant user you will appreciate the small refinements that have been made to make Radiant easier for both power users and normal folks.
Apart from the stylistic changes, there are a couple of changes that are worth mentioning:
- There are now two levels of tabs. The intent here is provide more organization for folks that have a lot of extensions installed. The primary top level tabs are now “Content”, “Design”, and “Settings”.
- We’ve added hot-keys for saving. You can now press Ctrl+S to save a page and continue editing, or Ctrl+Shift+S to save a page and return to the index page.
- We’ve reduced the number of flash messages in favor of status messages that pop up when you submit a form.
- We’ve added support for the tab key to text areas. On Safari and Firefox there is also support for multiline indent and unindent.
This release is primarily aimed at extension developers. We want to encourage all extension developers to update their extensions to work with 0.9.0 as the interface changes in this release are significant and will break existing extensions. We would like to hear as much feedback as possible about what we can do to make it easier to upgrade extensions for the new version. Any patches or pull requests that are submitted in this vein will be given a higher priority.
There are a number of changes that did not make it into this release candidate that may make it into the final version in one form or another. Among them internationalization, asset management, password reset, filter toolbars, and a revamped settings interface.
We now using GitHub Issues to keep track of feature requests and bug reports. If there is a particular feature that you feel should be in 0.9.0 or a bug report that you would like to file, do so there. You can also vote on existing features to improve the odds that they will be implemented by one of the core team members.
As always we welcome your feedback and contributions.
Download & Install
You can download the gem here:
Install it with the gem command:
$ gem install radiant-0.9.0-rc1.gem
This will install the gem as ‘radiant-0.9.0’.
How to Upgrade an Existing Project or Site
1. Update the Radiant assets from in your project:
2. Migrate the database:
rake production db:migrate
3. Restart the web server